Trailers

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

"The Uninvited" Can Stop By My Place Any Time

While The Uninvited may suffer in some areas, it's a great thriller. And, it even brought me to the edge of my seat.

Yes, I said it!

"But who knows, I could be way off."

How true that turned out to be! The trailer did the movie no justice. I was in for quite a surprise: I actually enjoyed it from the start. But that's not to say it wasn't flawed. Because it's true that it was made up of things that have already been done, but it was an entertaining blend.

I'll tackle the fear-factor right from the start. Like any horror or thriller, this one has a couple jump-out-at-cha scares, but not that many. It depends more on setting up nightmarish moments where the terror slithers into you. It's not sudden, it's not loud; you see it coming at you... and you are helpless to stop it. Ever feel helpless in a terrifying dream you couldn't wake up from? That's how our main character felt. I'd say there are about four or five lengthly enough scenes that do this, which is a fair amount. Especially since straight-out terror isn't the only thing this film uses against you. I'll say this though: I never want to see a trash bag again. Evar!
(Crap, did that thing just move?!)

You know what? I'm glad the commercial sucked. Yeah, I'll be blunt about it this time. Because luckily, for that reason, it didn't give anything away! Not too great for marketing (if I wasn't doing this blog, I'd probably have skipped this one until it was available to rent), sure, but I'm grateful now. All the best parts were waiting to catch me off-guard.

The second thing used to get you tense is a good ole psychological attack. The paranoia of the girls is infectious! You aren't just watching them worry about the evil step-mom-to-be. You're actually involved, wondering what she'll do next, and if something goes wrong, deep down you're thinking "Noooo, she's at it again!" instead of just "Yup, she done it."
(Ugg, that is going to stain...)

I have other good things to say, but let's throw some balance in the mix and talk about where the movie stumbles. The plot had no holes, but sadly it was often predictable. It's full of twists and turns, but you know many of them are going to happen. I found myself calling some things a good ten minutes ahead of time. Not to mention that, as I've said before, many of the themes have been done: "I don't trust that person and nobody believes me" and "we're ghosts, we're trying to warn you by scaring you."
(Nice to meet-- that's not how you shake hands!)

However, I'm now going to deconstruct all of what I just said. :P

Maybe the movie was supposed to be that way. Because even when you see parts of the plot coming, it affects you like the scares do: "Nonono, don't do that, not that!" You're like a fortune-teller who can see upcoming doom and can't change it, which tears at you making you pray it won't come to pass. But it does. As for the "it's all been done" problem... let's just say that though they were obviously inspired by at least three common plots, the way they put them together disarms and distracts you enough to make you think you know where they're going with it when you don't. Certain aspects of the film made me think the makers were smart enough to do something like that. I really liked their contrasting use of "Welcome Home". After seeing what some other people thought, I can see that they agree. Everything that looks plain or like a plot-hole has an excuse. You'll see. ;)

The acting was perfectly fine. Nothing Oscar-worthy, but not at all lacking either. The characters felt very genuine, including their attatchments to one-another. I'm particularly thinking of the relationship between the two sisters. They disagree at times, but when it matters they stick together and stand up for each other. As for the others, well, the father looked like a guy who didn't know how to handle his teen daughters, and the woman he's in love with looked like a manipulator who fakes her kindness just enough to trick him but not the children.

There isn't much to say about the critics. The main thing they whined about was the predictability. They also focused on the few "typical" scares the movie did have. Basically they were being closed-minded. But a fair amount cheered the movie on for its bountiful good qualities and I cheer them back.

Funny story: something happened after watching the movie. I got in my car, turned on my MP3 player, and headed home. As I pulled into the driveway, the clock struck midnight. I looked down at my MP3 to turn it off, and what song was just starting to play? "Welcome Home" by Coheed and Cambria. What the eff! Not only is there the coincidence of the title and the fact that I'd just gotten home, but emotion of the song resonates a bit with some emotion of the movie.

So, that made my night complete. :0

Overall: A good movie that may just be a great movie in disguise. It depends on how deep you can look into it after its over. One thing's for sure: it knew how to create an effective atmosphere.

4 comments:

  1. Finally, someone taking a stand against the "predictability" argument! I'm getting awfully sick of critics dismissing a movie because it's too predictable. Frankly, their criticism is predictable. I like a good predictable movie now and again--it's called bubble gum for the brain, and I happen to like it. Some of us go to the movies for a quick escape in which we can switch off for an hour and a half before getting back to our hum drum existances. Besides, when you think about it, movies love reinventing the wheel. Just look at Friday the 13th and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Seems to me the Hollywood horror set's doing just fine, predictability and all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly, not only can a predictable moment be a part of the atmosphere of dread, but its also just a great way to enjoy a movie! Nothing feels better than putting the pieces together, right? Where's the fun in everything being force-fed to you, rather than having you do some figuring for yourself? Critics need to understand that not everything in a movie is a challenge. The movie is not as hostile toward them as they are toward it. Most movies just wanna have a good time, and so should they. Analyze later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of you are so right about predictability and I'm stealing it for my blog. I'm at school all week and I don't want to have to think ALL THE TIME.
    And can I just say that even though I really enjoy your reviews, Pierre, you always say that the acting is FINE. And maybe it is but I have seen so many movies with bad acting that I just can't believe that all the movies you've reviewed in this blog had good acting. I'm sorry but especially in this genre. Give me some specifics because I'm really waiting for you to tear some people apart! You can do it, I know you can!
    This comment may also be because I don't want to be alone in doing so, :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I should have mentioned that Bloody Valentine's acting was as corny and ridiculous as the rest of it. The thing with horror movies, is that there isn't as much demand from the acting as you might think: the main thing most of the actors do is scream and die. But I also haven't come across many subtle horrors like The Others or The Uninvited, that draw on character rather than only violence and jump-out-at-cha scares, in my blog.

    Don't worry though, I'm reviewing Friday the 13th soon (late, I know) and it will not be happy with what I have to say. >:)

    ReplyDelete