Trailers

Monday, January 26, 2009

Time For A "Horror Movie Awareness Day!"

We've got a couple horror films coming up, and I think its time to get all excited about them (if you haven't yet). Or maybe unexcited. Prepared! But unless some new announcements are made, there isn't much on the horizon past February. Lets hope we get more! If push comes to shove some weeks, I'll find and watch new-ish foreign horror to tell you about.

So, let's get right into it. Next week's release is The Uninvited. Yep, another Un- movie. From the commercial (Youtube, Apple), it seems... nothing special. The ghost-warning has been done before, and in possibly more interesting ways. I can't tell you which movies without ruining the twist though. Anyhow, the "person-everyone-trusts-but-you" thriller has been done nicely as well (like with Disturbia). Sure combining them is not so worn, but even so I don't see anything original coming from this one. Honestly it doesn't even seem that creepy/scary. But who knows, I could be way off. In some cases, I could never understand why the ghosts feel they have to scare the person they're trying to help, instead of just talking to them. Rules of some sort? Why not just scare off the evil person or haunt them into confessing? *shrug* Comes out the January 30th.

Next up on my list is probably the most anticipated horror movie in the near future: Friday the 13th. That's right, the story is being revived. The legend of Jason Voorhees. Check it out (Youtube, Apple 2a). Finally, the serial killer in the hockey mask has some mobility instead of being slow and stiff. It had always bothered me in the old movies when Jason would walk after sprinting teens and still somehow catch up. This looks like an interesting slasher. A big guy with a machete (and other sharp objects) and a scary mask popping out and attacking teens. What else do we need to make us insecure on a camping trip? It is possible that they could somehow mess it up, but there is a lot of expectation riding on this movie and the makers know it. Give us your best shot guys! Comes out in Febuary on Friday the 13th.

Now for something that's been kept more in the shadows. Another revival of a classic. The Wolf Man. There are no official trailers yet, but somebody recorded a preview at Comic-Con and leaked it on the internet. The quality ain't great, but enjoy! It looks very... classical. Old-fashioned, and that's not a bad thing. We're looking at a strong cast too. Benicio Del Toro, Anthony Hopkins, and Hugo Weaving. I'm genuinely interested. Could be a wild ride. And its also coming out February 13th. Wait, wait. I just noticed that production got pushed back. Rotten Tomatoes had it set for February 13th, but now its aiming for November 6th. Awwww, man! People are saying it's because they want more time to market it, and on a My Bloody Valentine 3D wiki that has been taken down, the poster speculated that it may also have moved to avoid competing with Friday the 13th. Isn't that lovely portrait of Wolf Man to the left there cool? It's got my attention!

There are a few recent foreign movies that look interesting. First off is Eden Log, a Sci-Fi horror from France. It looks cool enough, but I can't really tell where its going. Plus the 'creature' looks less impressive than I was expecting. It came out in December. Then there's Dead Snow, a Norwegian movie about Nazi zombies. Yes, you heard me. And it looks as entertaining as it sounds. That can be good or bad depending on how it sounds to you, hehe. I can't believe they quoted Indiana Jones! The Movie Blog gave a review about it if you're interested. It came out earlier this month.

So for the near future, it looks like I'm going to pray that Friday the 13th turns out to be some kind of masterpiece.

Oops, and I fixed those last 5 pictures if you noticed they were down. :)

4 comments:

  1. I am definently looking forward to Friday the 13th! I've practically watched all the Jason movies and the Jason vs. Freddy, which I did not really like...it was way to gory !

    I know it makes me angry too when he some how catches up so quickly to the person he is going to kill. I'm always on the edge of my seat saying..."HURRRY UPPP RUUUUUNNNNNN...He's coming!" I could never understand how fast he caught up to his killer when Jason is always shown to be walking very slow. I guess its all part of the horror movie tactics, so people will feel even very frightened and excited.

    I enjoyed reading this post !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen Jason X yet? That was probably the funniest fail I'd seen in a while. I mean, some parts were just hilarious, in a ridiculous sort of way. I'm glad they finally gave up and just decided to do a remake. :)

    Yeah, the slow walk was the fashion of older horror, and it builds up anxiety. Still! What are the victims running backwards a bit or something? "Oh, I'm too far ahead? I'll let you catch up. Ahhh! Run again!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, more Nazi Zombies. Is this some new phase? I just learned about these things a couple of weeks ago from my son playing Call of Duty World at War!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I was wondering the same thing. I guess anything is possible. COD comes out, and some guys in Norway get inspired to make a movie about Nazi Zombies!

    Zombies in general look like they're on a slight rebound. Not only did Call of Duty have that mini-game, but around that time they released Left 4 Dead (which is all about zombies), Saints Row 2 and Gears of War 2 (which also had zombie mini-games). And now this. :D

    ReplyDelete